The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society


Lenton Times - Back Issues

A Brief Synopsis of the Main Articles



Issue No. 11 July 1997 (£1.00)


Front cover of Issue 11 - Lenton TimesLenton 1897 (10 pages)

The year 1997 was quite a significant one for Nottingham as it was one hundred years since it gained its city status. To mark 1997 this article provides a picture of what Lenton was like in 1897. In order to do so the article often takes readers further back into Lenton's past and on occasions chooses to bring the story up to the present time. Among the topics featured are Lenton's local industries, the different churches, the schools, housing developments, the shops and pubs.


Making the News in 1897 (2 pages)

A further assemblage of news items with a Lenton connection - this time focussing on the year 1897. They include a legal dispute between Lenton United Cricket Club and Nottingham Forest Football Club regarding the level of compensation that should be paid over the disturbance in their tenancy of the Gregory Ground.


In Search of 'Our Sammy' (3 pages)

Stephen Tring unearths the full story of his father's brother, Sammy, who was killed by a motor vehicle in Lenton while trying to save the life of another young boy in November 1930. Sammy was just thirteen.


Lenton Grove (2 pages)

John Beckett, Professor of Regional History at Nottingham University, recounts something of the history of Lenton Grove. This building now incorporated into the University Campus was built by Francis Evans c.1800 and is situated on Beeston Lane near the West entrance to the main campus. Since 1995 it has housed the University's History Department.


The Bells, The Bells! (1 page)

Alongside a short history of the bells of Holy Trinity Church we publish an appeal for funds which will enable both the bells and bell-ringing chamber to receive an all-too-necessary overhaul. [The appeal proved successful and the overhaul has now taken place.]


Our Sponsor's Story: 174 Derby Road (1 page)

Until the mid 1960s 174 Derby Road was used as a Drill Hall by the Territorial Army. When they vacated the building it was taken over by the Post Office. The Post Offices departure in 1995 prompted its acquisition by the Leicester Housing Association. The front of the building has now been converted into offices while the rear was demolished and a new housing complex built in its place.


Local Listings (2 pages)

Books discussed are 'Never let Anyone Draw the Blinds' by Lottie Martin and 'The Beeston Story' by Margaret Cooper.


Society Snips (2 pages)


Letters (half a page)

A letter from Sheila Mortimer correcting certain errors regarding Henry Thomas Mortimer that crept into our article entitled 'Manslaughter at New Lenton?' that was included in Issue No.10




Back Issues - Current Issue



All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is © Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission