Issue No.16 November 2000 (£1.00)
Thomas McLean was a Scottish footballer who joined Notts County in 1888. He only played for the Club for three seasons but in that short period of time his skills and general surefootedness endeared him to both Club and supporters. Uniquely at that period in time, Tom McLean was given a public presentation on the occasion of his marriage in 1891 and he was also the first player at Notts County ever to receive summer pay during the close season. Injury problems probably forced his departure from the Club and after signing for Derby County a further injury to his knee brought his playing career to a close in 1893. After almost fifteen years away from the professional game Notts County sought Tom McLean out and offered him position of assistant trainer. In the ensuing years players came and went, even the managers might change but the one constant presence in team photos is that of Thomas McLean. He was to stay with Notts County for the next twenty one years. And why do we feature him in the magazine? Resident in Lenton for almost forty years he was buried, with other members of his family, in a grave in Holy Trinity churchyard.
Now and Then: Marcus Street (3 pages)
The name may have disappeared from use but the street in question is still with us having been incorporated into Alderney Street. We reproduce a present-day photograph of 'Marcus Street' taken from Castle Boulevard and contrast it with the same shot taken in August 1975. The earlier shot would not have looked all that dissimilar from a photograph taken soon after the properties were first built in the 1880s. The picture only begins to alter in the 1980s but the transformation has been so emphatic that it is only the continued presence of 'Jackson and Harris' and its neighbouring property that indicates we are still in the same part of Lenton.
Wartime in Wollaton Park (3 page)
During the Second World War Julia Hibbitt was a young girl living on Orston Drive. Her father did his 'bit' by joining the local detachment of the Home Guard. She recalls some of the things he got up to in the course of defending this country from foreign invasion and tells of a couple of occasions when the enemy did put in an appearance.
Now and Then: 16-21 Abbey Street (3 pages)
In 1913 a photographer took a shot of 16-21 Abbey Street, which consisted of a three-storey building erected in the eighteenth century. Three years later the photographer returned and re-took the same shot. What he recorded in his second photograph was a major reconstruction - it's hard to believe they were still the same building. We detail the occupants of the two shops and bring our article up to date with the inclusion of a present-day view of that part of Abbey Street.
Ken Gulliver: A Bevin Boy in Lenton (3 pages)
Born and brought up in the Borough of Bow, Ken Gulliver found himself sent to the Nottinghamshire coalfield in 1944. After an initial period spent working elsewhere in the county he was transferred to Clifton Colliery. His landlady in The Park didn't take kindly to him coming home from the pit still covered in coal dust and gave him notice to quit. His next set of digs were in Friar Street and this move to Lenton was the key that initiated a business career, based in the area, that was to last some forty five years.
Now and Then: Derby Road (2 pages)
Paul Bexon has stood in the same spot as our 1931 photographer and recorded much the same shot. Where once there was a tram coming over the bridge now it is a motor bus. The Three Wheatsheaves stands on the left of both photographs and the short stretch of road still runs alongside the front of the pub. Of course it no longer takes you to the Lenton Goods Station and the bridge itself has been altered. These and other changes are explored in the course of the article.
Working Our Way through the War (2 pages)
Stan and Ann Dover had barely been married a month when war was declared. Not keen to be parted so soon after their marriage Stan resolved to get himself a job in a reserved occupation. This he found in Lenton. Ann carried on working for Hussey's on Newdigate Street, Radford which made skirts and blouses for C & A. This line of work soon diminished and the company began to make uniforms for the Army - but not without a lot of initial teething problems. Despite serious misgivings on the part of their parents the young couple decided to buy a house. This was also in Lenton. Ann describes the long hours of work they both put in and something of the trials and tribulations of living in Lenton during the war.
The Lenton I Remember by W.E.O. (5 pages)
In the 1920s the Nottinghamshire Weekly Guardian ran a series of articles in which the history of Lenton was intertwined with the writer's recollections of the area in his youth. The newspaper only identified the author as W.E.O. but a little detective work soon revealed William Edgar Osmond to be the author. W.E.O. rarely gives the reader an indication of his age but it is clear that his own personal memories must relate to life in Lenton during the 1860s. We have adapted some of his pieces for present day consumption and also include a brief biography of W.E.O.
Our Sponsor's Story (1 page)
The Johnson Arms, Abbey Street, Old Lenton and its new occupants.