The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society


Lenton Times - Back Issues

A Brief Synopsis of the Main Articles



Issue No. 21 July 2004 (£1.20)


Front cover of Issue 21 - Lenton TimesTanners Yard, Leengate (2 pages)

Tanners Yard was a block of houses situated on Leengate but set back from the road. Jean Rhodes (née Roper) recalls the properties where her grandparents, Lily and Walter Warrener, used to live. Usually in the company of her mother and her brother, Jean would visit Tanners Yard most Saturdays. The Warreners had come to Nottingham from Middlesborough in 1939 and No.1 Tanners Yard was to remain their home until the beginning of the 1960s when the block of housing and other neighbouring properties were all demolished in a mini-clearance scheme.


From Jundialla to Johnson Road (4 pages)

Bhag Singh lived with his wife and children in Jundialla, a village in the state of Punjab in India. In 1952 it was agreed that he should leave the family home and seek work in Great Britain. He already knew someone living in Nottingham and stayed with them until he got a job with British Gypsum and a place of his own in St. Ann's. In 1954 Bhag's eldest son, Harbanse, joined him in Nottingham and also got a job with British Gypsum. Three years later it was agreed that the rest of Bhag's family should leave India and come and live in Nottingham. A house was bought in Johnson Road, Lenton and in December 1957 his wife, Udam, and their four other children flew into Gatwick Airport. Their daughter, Raspal Kaur, recalls their arrival in this country and the years spent thereafter at No.9 Johnson Road. She spoke no English when she arrived which made life quite tricky when she started at Lenton Church Junior School after the Christmas break. Come the Summer it was time to move on to Cottesmore Secondary Girls, where she became the School's first Asian pupil. After leaving school Rashpal worked at Daks Simpson on Park Street, New Lenton until her marriage to Gurnam Sahota in 1966. Her marriage meant a move to Wolverhampton. However she later came back to Nottingham and she and Gurnam lived at different times on Johnson Road, Petersham Street, Teversal Avenue and Willoughby Avenue - all, of course, in Lenton. In 1980 they moved out of Lenton, took over a shop in Beeston Rylands and were able to buy a number of other properties. They have recently sold the shop and are now both intent on enjoying their retirement in the village of Whatton. As Raspal states at the end of the article, 'for someone who arrived in Lenton at the age of ten, not speaking a word of English I suppose I have done quite well for myself'.


The Birthplaces of Lenton's 1881 Residents (3 pages)

Courtesy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, more commonly known as the Mormon Church, it is possible to access the whole of the 1881 British Census on a series of CD-ROMs. Using this amazing resource we have analysed the birthplaces of all those residing in Lenton on the night of the 1881 census. This amounted to 10,254 individuals. Of these just over 20% were Lenton born and bred and when you add in all the others born in elsewhere in Nottinghamshire we arrive at the figure of about 66%. The birthplace of a further 18% was in one of the five neighbouring counties while just over 12% were born in the remaining English counties. After adding on the 125 people who were born in other parts of the United Kingdom we are left with some 80 people who were actually born overseas. The article looks in some detail at these 'exotic' individuals and in particular at all those who were born just across the Channel in France. Numbering some forty individuals they make up by far the largest component of these foreign-born residents. The reason for Lenton's French connection becomes clear once you read the article.


A Boer War Veteran Recalled (1 page)

John Henry Howitt featured in our list of Lenton men who served in the Boer War. On his return he married Lily Maul and set up home in Dunkirk where they brought up seven children. Madge Smith (née) Howitt was the youngest of these, being born in 1922. We learn from her something of her father's life in Lenton and how the dreadful storms experienced on the return journey from South Africa definitely put her father off contemplating any further jaunts abroad.


The Wardles at War (1 page)

Andy Fox's maternal grandfather was Edward Wardle. Two of Edward's brothers feature in our list of Boer War soldiers. Andy provides a little more information about these two men, who both appear to have gone on to serve in the First World War. Joseph Corthorn, another of those on our Boer war list, later married Edward's sister, Alice. He also returned to the colours in the First World War but unlike his brothers-in-law was destined to die in the war.


The Finneys of Lenton & Massachusetts (3 pages)

In the United States there is a special kudos among those who can establish a family link with any of the early settlers. Among these early immigrants were members of the Finney family who arrived in New England in the late 1630s. It was only a few years ago that it became clear that the Finneys had previously lived in Lenton. Clifford L. Stott, based in Massachusetts, was instrumental in bringing this connection to light and our feature draws on his article which appeared in the New England Historic Genealogical Register Vol.148 (1994).


The Pouchers of Grange Farm, Dunkirk (4 pages)

The site of Grange Farm now lies beneath the tarmacadamed surface of the 'B' carpark out at Boots factory complex, straddling the city boundary out at Beeston. In the early 1920s William and Charles Poucher took over the farm and it was there in 1922 that John Poucher was born. For the next fifteen years Grange Farm remained his home. John Poucher recalls growing up on the farm in the days when almost everything was done with the aid of a horse. He remembers the terrible floods of 1933 when floodwater surrounded the whole farmhouse. The waters finally went down after a week but until then he and his brother were unable to attend school. The flood had an unsettling effect on his family, as did the arrival of the Boots factory. Boots went on to acquire all the farms in the immediate neighbourhood in order to provide sufficient land for subsequent expansion. Although the farmland wasn't required for this purpose just yet the Pouchers felt it advisable to seek a new tenancy elsewhere. They settled on a farm at Elston and took it over in 1936 and with their move away from Lenton John Poucher's tale of life on the farm comes to a close.


Our Sponsor's Story (1 page)

Stephen While, based in Lenton, is Nottingham's only Curative Hypnotherapy practitioner. This feature describes how he treats people and describes the range of problems he is able to address. See also www.aqch.org/swhile.


Local Listings (2 pages)

Short reviews are included on:
The Illustrated History of Nottingham's Suburbs by Geoffrey Oldfield pub. by Breedon Books in 2003.
Lenton: Many Voices, One Community compiled by Diane Maloy pub. by Nottinghamshire Living History Archive Millennium Award Scheme 2002.


18a Willoughby Street (3 pages)

In 2003 the Djanogly Art Gallery hosted an exhibition entitled 'Everyday Images: Naïve painting of daily life 1750-1900'. Among the various paintings on display was a street scene in New Lenton. It featured a bakery shop on Willoughby Street which was then run by Arthur Taylor. In the early 1900s Mr Taylor had evidently commissioned a painting of his business premises, which was carried out by Arthur Goodwin. Neil Walker, who is based at the Djanogly Art Gallery, had gathered together information about both men and the magazine includes Neil's catalogue entry on the painting alongside our own article. We were able to provide a little additional information on Arthur Taylor and his family but ultimately drew a blank when trying to discover what had happened to Arthur Taylor and his two daughters when they left the Willoughby Street property in the mid 1920s. We go on to provide readers with the details of the subsequent occupants of 18a Willoughby Street. The last of these were George and Hilda Hourd who ran the bakery from 1939 onwards. The property came down in the 1960s as part of the Willoughby Street clearance scheme - but what then happened to the Hourds was something else that remained unclear.




Back Issues - Current Issue



All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is © Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission