Issue No. 22 April 2005 (£1.20)
Until its demolition in 1977 this property stood just over the bridge from the Johnson Arms on a plot land at the junction of Abbey Street and Dunkirk Road. In 1928 Bridge House became the family home of Jean Bamford (née Bird) and she was to live there for the next twenty two years. Jean recalls her life there including wartime when her father, Thomas Bird, became the full-time air-raid precautions officer for that part of Lenton. Her recollection's also include the disabling impact of contracting diphtheria; school days spent at Dunkirk Juniors, Lenton Girls and Cottesmore Girls; the local shops; Sundays at church; plus her own war-time employment spent at Chilwell Depot.
Picture Inn the Past (3 pages)
Lynne Kirby was born and brought up in Vancouver, Canada. Her link with Nottingham was that her grandparents, Albert and Meggie Burnham, had lived here before moving to Canada in 1908. Among the family 'heirlooms' that had been passed on to her was this photograph of a pub. In the original photograph it was possible to read the sign on the wall which stated that it was the Three Wheatsheaves and the licensee was G. H. Burnham. Lynne knew that on her grandparents' marriage certificate Albert's father, George Henry Burnham, had been described as a licensed victualler. So there was little doubt that this was her great-grandfather's pub. Its precise location only came to light when she found an almost identical photograph on the Lenton Times web site. Lynne and her husband, Nick, decided to holiday in England in the Autumn of 2004 so that they could visit their daughter, who was then working in London. As part of their itinerary they chose to visit Nottingham and present the current licensees with a copy of their photograph. The story of their visit to Lenton is recalled in this article along with such information as has since come to light regarding G. H. Burnham and his career as a Nottingham pub landlord.
The Jubilee Campus: A twentieth century history of the site and surrounding area (7 pages)
John Beckett has written two articles for us outlining the history of the area in and around the Jubilee Campus. The first of these appears in this issue and details its history from the 1920s onwards. The second, planned for inclusion in Issue No. 23, will look at the site in earlier times. The topics covered in the course of John Beckett's first article include the Corporation's acquisition of Wollaton Hall and the surrounding park land; Middleton Boulevard and the Wollaton Park housing estate; the in-filling of the Nottingham canal; the Raleigh factory's expansion into the Triumph Road area; Raleigh's gradual abandonment of the Lenton factory complex and its partial replacement by the Jubilee Campus.
Alongside this article we have reproduced a superb aerial photograph taken in 1931 which shows the lie of the land from New Lenton to Wollaton.
From New Brunswick to New Lenton (2 pages)
Stuart Munns has written a short article about his grandfather, Henry Benjamin Cooper, who was born in Canada in 1867 when his father was serving with the British Army. The Cooper family eventually settled in Lenton in the 1880s. Henry Cooper married in 1896 and by the time of the 1901 census there were four children. By then he had established himself as a 'Mason and Contractor' with a base in Traffic Street over in the Meadows and lived at 14a Osmaston Street, Lenton. The future all looked fairly rosy. However the Coopers' world was turned upside when Henry Cooper suffered a fatal accident at work. As a consequence of this his widow took the family to live at Langar with her parents. The link with Lenton was permanently broken and it was at Langar, about two months after Henry's death, that their fifth child was born. This girl was destined to become Stuart Munns' mother. Stuart had always been aware of his grandfather's early demise but had never really known how it had come about. As a result of his researches readers can also discover what exactly happened over in the Meadows on 25 September 1901.
Lenton Church Athletic Cricket Club (4 pages)
One of Stuart Munns' family photographs includes a team photo of Henry Benjamin Cooper when he played for Lenton Church Athletic Cricket Club in the 1890s. The opportunity to feature this photograph in the magazine prompted us to research the late Victorian cricket scene in Nottingham. Searching through the copies of the local newspapers held on microfilm at the Local Studies Library for this era enabled us not only to identify a substantial number of amateur teams with Lenton connections but also piece together a detailed history of Lenton Church Athletic. A match report could generally be found in the papers for most games the club played and the detailed reproduction of their scorecards meant we could even amass specific information on Henry Cooper's own playing career. The club folded in the early part of the twentieth century but before its demise it was one of a number of clubs that participated in the short-lived cricket leagues that operated in Nottingham in the 1890s - something that was not reintroduced to the Nottingham sporting scene until the early 1950s.
The Lenton Stowaway: Hardship and Adventure in Canada (2 pages)
At the age of just fourteen Ernest King left his family home in Willoughby Street, Lenton in May 1928 in order to work on a farm in Nova Scotia, Canada. His passage was paid by the Canadian government. The terms and conditions his family had been given to expect were not adhered to and Ernest was prompted to seek fresh employment while out there. This did not work out and, after a period in jail for begging on the streets of Hamilton, Ernest King resolved to return to England. Stowing away on a British-bound ship he turned up in Nottingham in February 1930. The subsequent court case in London led to feature articles being written about him in several local papers. Drawing on these we have constructed our own account of 'The Lenton Stowaway: Hardship and Adventure in Canada'.
Our Sponsor's Story (1 page)
In 1997 Dr. Dinesh Maini took over the Lenton Medical Centre situated at 266 Derby Road. After seven years as a one-man general practitioner Dr Maini decided to add another string to his bow. Following extensive alterations at 266 Derby Road he has been able to enlarge the available space and set up the Nottingham Laser Clinic there. Our article outlines the various treatments Dr Maini is now able to offer at the clinic in addition to his services as a general practitioner. For more details see his web site www.nottinghamlaserclinic.co.uk.