Issue No. 24 October 2006 (£1.20)
Following the dissolution of the monasteries, the site of Lenton Priory and its estate lands became the property of the Crown. John T. Godfrey in The History of the Parish and Priory of Lenton (pub.1884) states that in 1539, King Henry VIII granted a lease of the Priory, with certain lands in 'Carleholme, Lenton, and Radford', for forty years, at an annual rent of £38 13s. 0d., to Sir Michael Stanhope, Knight, who had previously obtained a grant of the site of the dissolved Priory of Shelford, in this county. Godfrey then details all those who subsequently held the land. In some cases he gives quite a lot of personal information about these people but the passage cited above is the extent of what he can tell us about Sir Michael Stanhope. A much better source of information is the recently published Sir Thomas Stanhope of Shelford: Local life in Elizabethan times written by Beryl Cobbing and Pamela Priestland. This publication is actually about Sir Michael's son, Thomas, but the focus of the book's first two chapters is on Sir Michael himself. We have drawn on this portion of the book to create a thumbnail sketch of this man whose life eventually ended courtesy of the public executioner.
The Derby Road Trolleybus Revisited (4 pages)
In 1962 Rod Bramley was Honorary Secretary of the Nottingham Trolleybus Group at the time when the trolleybuses operating along the Derby Road were replaced by diesel motorbuses. Following the appearance of Issue No. 23 which contained the feature entitled 'Last Trolleybus to Lenton' a fellow trolleybus enthusiast sent a copy of the magazine to Rod who now lives in North Wales. He was prompted to send us this follow-up article which provides the reader with additional information about the Derby Road service illustrated with a number of his own photographs featuring trolleybuses in Lenton.
Our Sponsor's Story (1 page)
The shopping scene in Lenton has undergone many changes in recent years but among the more permanent features has been Lorna's the florists which has been open for business on Lenton Boulevard for over fifty years. Started by Lorna Jones in 1953 the shop is now in the hands of her daughter, Angela Spencer. In more recent years in addition to the usual services offered by florists Angela has diversified into fruit and vegetables, balloon décor, helium filled balloons and party accoutrements.
The Jubilee Campus: The Early History of the Site and Surrounding Area (3 pages)
In Issue 22 John Beckett looked at the twentieth century history of the Jubilee Campus site. In this second article he looks at what can be learned about the site in earlier times.
The Derby Road Gatehouse (4 pages)
In the early nineteenth century Henry, 6th Lord Middleton extended the eastern boundary of Wollaton Park as far as the Nottingham Canal. He had a new brick wall erected around the park's perimeter and commissioned Sir Jeffry Wyatville to build him a gatehouse on the Derby Road which would echo the style of the hall itself. After Michael, 11th Lord Middleton sold Wollaton Hall and the surrounding parkland to Nottingham Corporation in 1924 the eastern side of the park became the site of the Wollaton Park housing estate and other portions of land were sold off to private house builders. As a result the gatehouse became separated from the rest of the parkland. Our article explores who lived in the gatehouse while it belonged to the Middleton family and also the various occupants since it passed into the hands of the City Council. The article is illustrated with photographs of the gatehouse taken from picture postcards from the early twentieth century.
Life in the Lodge (1 page)
Pat Fines, her husband and their two small children emigrated to Australia in 1967 and now live in Queensland. For a short while before her marriage to Barry Fines in 1956 Pat had lived in the Wollaton Park gatehouse. Her article recalls this period of her life in Lenton.
That Old Plaque Magic (1 page)
Situated on the Derby Road gatehouse high above the archway at the front of the building is a bronze plaque depicting the coat of arms of Henry, 6th Lord Middleton. This short article delves into the realms of heraldry to explain what is depicted there and explain its significance.
Book Reviews (2 pages)
Old Ordnance Survey Maps Nottingham NW 1913 - Nottingham Castle in old picture postcards.
Charlie Hawkes' Family Tree (3 pages)
Charles and Florence Hawkes originally lived in the Broad Marsh area of Nottingham. In the mid 1930s the City Council announced that the whole area was to be demolished and offered to rehouse some of the existing residents in a new Council housing development at Abbey Bridge, Lenton. Among those who took up this offer were the Hawkes family and so in 1937 No. 63 Coleby Avenue became their new home. Soon after the move to Lenton their third child, Frederick, was born. Fred Hawkes recalls his life at Coleby Avenue in this feature. All the Hawkes children except his older brother, Charlie, eventually married and left home but No. 63 remained Charlie's home until the late 1990s. By this time Charlie was seriously disabled with Parkinson's Disease and had to move into a nursing home. He eventually died in 2004 and Fred and the other surviving members of the family resolved to mark his passing in a special way. And so the special strain of elm resistant to Dutch Elm Disease recently planted on the Derby Road side of Lenton Recreation Ground between the little ornamental bandstand and the new children's play area commemorates Charles Henry Hawkes (1929-2004), longstanding resident of Lenton.
The Sturmey-Archer 3-Speed Gear Hub: Its Genesis (3 pages)
In the Society's archives is a short reminiscence by the late Thorold Stancer who claimed that the development of the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed gear hub took place in the attic room of his neighbour, a certain Mr Archer, then living on Greenfield Street, Dunkirk. When we began to seek further corroboration for this story it became apparent that the development of this hub had taken place long before James Archer came to Nottingham and that his actual role in its design was somewhat peripheral. Drawing on Tony Hadland's detailed history The Sturmey-Archer Story, published in 1987, we reveal the salient biographical details of the others involved in its development and then return to James Archer to describe what else has come to light about this former Lenton resident. For more details of Sturmey-Archer see www.sturmey-archerheritage.com.
Sturmey-Archer: The End (half a page)
The site of the Sturmey-Archer factory on Triumph Road is now occupied by the National College for School Leadership. The cycle components previously manufactured in Lenton are now made in Taiwan by Sun Race Sturmey-Archer. How this all came to pass is explored in this short concluding feature.
Lenton Times - Issue 24 - Downloadable PDF Version
Once the payment is confirmed, we will send you details of the download link.
The link will be available online for 2 weeks from the date of notification.