The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society

Priory Church - Lenton


Photographs | Lenton Listener Articles | Memories | Map


Photographs

This is the earliest photograph of the Priory Church we have access to. Quite possibly it was taken in the 1890s when the rebuilt church was just a few years old.

A picture postcard of the Priory Church produced by J. Spree. The postcard in question came from the album of the late Reg Meakin. Reg's accompanying caption indicates that the postcard was first published in 1919.

A similar view of the Priory Church taken from the graveyard - although somewhat surprisingly no gravestones appear to feature in the photograph.

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

An undated photograph of the Priory Church (also known as St. Anthony's Church) taken from the Priory Church boundary wall. The chancel on the left dates from the days of the Priory when it was part of a hospital chapel but the nave on the left is relatively recent only dating from the 1880's.

Harold Lowe took this and the next image in early 1991 shortly before the building work (shown below) got underway.

Here you get a better view of the chancel and it should be evident that the stonework is much older than on the rest of the church.

This is one of the picture postcards which appeared in the 'Clumber' series of postcards published by Albert Hindley in the early part of the twentieth century. This particular shot shows the Priory Church as seen from the junction of Gregory Street and Old Church Street.

J. Spree also took an interior view of the Priory Church and turned it into a picture postcard. Reg Meakin acquired a copy and stuck it in his album with a 1919 date alongside it.

This royal coat of arms can be found hanging on the wall inside the Priory Church. It underwent restoration during 1978-80 and this photograph was taken once the restoration was complete. Before its restoration by Mr Jesse Bruton, the initials at the top had read 'G.R.' but beneath the letter 'G' was found to be an 'A' for Queen Anne and beneath this a 'C' for Charles which means it was much older than initially suspected.

Photograph courtesy of Glenys Randle

In this 1948 shot of the members of the Priory Church Sunday School Ada Marriott took this photograph on too bright a day. As a result some of the participants are shielding their eyes from the sun while the faces of some of the others are cast in partial shadow - nevertheless a nostalgic shot for anyone included in the photograph.

This undated photograph originally appeared in the Nottingham Evening Post but was probably taken in the late 1960s/early 1970s and shows the Rev. Michael Lippiatt, curate at the Priory Church, receiving gifts from parishioners at the annual 'Gift Day'.


Building the Extension - 1991

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

The path leading up to the entrance of the church in 1991 before the building work had got underway.

The exterior door into the church before the building work commenced.

The concrete raft on which the new extension would be constructed is now in place.

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

The section of the extension which would house the toilet block begins to take shape.

The new section of stonework is nearing completion.

The wooden framework for the section of roof over the new porch has now been put in place.

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

Photo courtesy of Harold Lowe

The construction work viewed from the other side. Inspecting the building work are Les and Ida Berry, former Lenton residents who had a longstanding relationship with this particular church.

The extension is now finished and the church is receiving its official visit from the Bishop of Southwell. Seen either side of the bishop are the two churchwardens, Harold Lowe and Tony Spencer.

The bishop, Harold Lowe plus the members of the church choir seen at the official opening of the extension in 1991.

Photo courtesy of Lenton Sands

The extension to the church as it looked in May 2011. The original of this photograph comes from 'Lenton Sands' many photographs to be found on the Picasso website. If you would like to see more of this person's photographs featuring this part of Old Lenton click here.


Lenton Listener Articles

Articles from 'The Lenton Listener' Magazine


Priory Church: 1984 - A Year For Celebration - Issue 29 - June to July 1984



Memories

Let us know your past and present memories of Priory Church - Lenton




Do you have any historical information or other photographs of this church? If so, email us with the details or write to us.




All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission