The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society

Tyne Street - Lenton


Photographs | Lenton Listener Articles | Memories


Photographs

A section of the 1915 O.S. map of the New Lenton area showing Tyne Street highlighted in pink. After the Willoughby Street area was redeveloped in the 1960s this street ceased to exist. Tyne Street was originally called Clifton Street and was renamed after Lenton became part of Nottingham in 1876.

Photograph courtesy of Picture the Past

Photograph courtesy of Picture the Past

Photograph courtesy of Picture the Past

George Roberts was looking along Tyne Street with his back to the junction with Park Road when he took this photograph in 1960. Click here to see the original photograph on the Picture the Past website.

For this shot of Tyne Street in 1960 George Robert was now standing at the junction with Maxwell Street and looking back towards Park Road. The properties shown in the previous photograph can be seen in the far distance on the righthand side of the street. Click here to see the original photograph on the Picture the Past website.

When George Roberts returned to Tyne Street in July 1961 the properties on this section of Tyne Street had already been demolished. This time he was standing at the junction with Head Street. On the right of the photograph are the backs of some of the properties on Willoughby Street. Click here to see the original photograph on the Picture the Past website.



Lenton Listener Articles

Articles from 'The Lenton Listener' Magazine


The Palace of Lenton - Issue 45 - April - May 1987

The Palace Again - Issue 47 - August - September 1987



Memories

Let us know your memories of Tyne Street



Do you have any historical information or other photographs of this street? If so, email us with the details or write to us.




All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is © Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission