The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society

Beyond Lenton


Although this website is primarily concerned with the Lenton area we sometimes receive photographs of other nearby localities. If we think they are of general interest to people browsing this site we will include them on this page.


The Meadows | The Park | The Boots Factory - Beeston | Wilford | Wollaton


The Meadows

Photograph courtesy of Krystina Dickie

Photograph courtesy of Gwen Thornhill nee Lambert

Photograph by Paul Bexon - 1982

The Meadows area of Nottingham suffered serious flooding during the winter of 1947. Taken during this period of flooding our photograph shows local youths making their way along the side of the river Trent with Clifton Colliery and Wilford Power Station both in evidence in the background.

Members of the Lambert family of Abbey Street, Lenton paddling in the river Trent in the early 1950s. In the distance on the other side of the river can be seen some of the houses that make up Wilford. On this side of the river would have been Wilford Power Station - visible in the previous photograph. Whether you are still in Lenton or have moved over the parish boundary into The Meadows is something of a moot point.

In October 1982 Paul Bexon took this shot from the grounds of Nottingham Castle looking southwards and taking in part of the Meadows area of Nottingham. In the foreground is land occupied by the railway and beyond it the Royal Ordnance Factory. Click on the photograph to get a larger version of the 1982 photograph along with a 2011 shot showing what is there today.


The Park

The photographer who took this shot in the 1930s was positioned on one of the boundary walls of Nottingham Castle. It shows the view looking westward and includes some of the properties in the Park. From our point of view in the background there is part of Lenton - for a close up of this section of the photograph access the large version included here.

This aerial photograph of The Park appeared in a 1953 edition of the Nottinghamshire Guardian. In the middle distance you can see Canning Circus and Derby Road and beyond it the grounds of the General Cemetery.


The Boots Factory - Beeston

This image, shows a photograph of the Boots factory in Beeston, which was taken by Aerofilms in 1939. It come from English Heritage's collection of aerial images covering the period 1919-1953. The website in question is Britain from Above, launched in 2012 by English Heritage and the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland and Wales, which offers free public access to more than 15,000 aerial photographs. Click here if you would like to check out more of the images on the Britain from Above website.

Our second image of the Boots factory is taken from an undated picture postcard. It gives the viewer a clear impression of the 1930s factory site. Given that there is, as yet, no sign of the sewage works in the bottom of the photograph it probably predates the previous 1939 aerial view. At the top of the photograph are the line of poplar trees planted alongside the main railway line to Derby and beyond it part of the playing fields situated to the south of University Boulevard. On the right of the photograph can be seen part of the Dunkirk Cut - the section of canal which links the Nottingham Canal with the River Trent at Beeston.

Our third image of the Boots factory is a modern day view of the factory taken from the Google website. Although it was Google's current [2015] aerial view of the local area, the image itself is clearly quite old. The construction of the buildings making up the additional section of the Science Park (in the top middle of the photograph) have yet to get underway suggesting the photograph was taken at a date nearer to 2006 than 2015.


Wilford

This undated picture postcard came from the late Reg Meakin's album. It was probably taken in the mid to late 1920s. On the back of the postcard Reg had written that the scene in question was the bridge over the Fairham Brook with the Round House in the background. This was situated near the entrance to Clifton Grove. The Round House had originally been a toll bar on the turnpike road out to Loughborough via Gotham. Reg recalled that in his childhood, about the time of the first world war, the building had been converted into a cafe selling refreshments to passersby. During this era the property came up for sale and Reg's grandmother actually considered buying it but never went ahead with the purchase.


Wollaton

Photograph courtesy of Dick Pearson

This aerial photograph taken in 1934 features Russell Drive in the top left on its approach to the junction with Wollaton Road which runs across the middle of the photograph. The church and pub are on the right and part of Bramcote Lane is also visible. Coming off Bramcote Lane in the foreground are the newly built properties that make up May Avenue.

This photograph originally appeared in the Nottinghamshire Guardian dated 4th September 1948. It shows a stretch of Wollaton Road with Western Boulevard off to the right and the end of Middleton Boulevard just visible on the middle left. The photographer had gone to the top of Player's bonded warehouse in order to get this shot. He was commissioned to do so because it had just been announced that work would shortly commence on the construction of two road islands to ease the flow of traffic at this point. On the extreme left of the picture you can see the section of the Nottingham canal as it is made its way under the Wollaton Road and on past the properties that constituted Radford Woodhouse. In the early days of the canal, coal from a nearby colliery would be brought down to this point on the canal in order to be loaded on barges and transported by water to neighbouring towns.

This photograph was taken Chris Noble in the early 1980s. It shows the remains of one of the locks constructed for the Nottingham canal in the Wollaton area. The surrounding area now features a housing estate and the bed of the canal and the associated locks have been filled in. However, at least part of the line of canal can still be accessed, as it has retained as a public footpath running alongside the area of new houses.



All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is © Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission